Sunday, April 24, 2011

Gender

 All of a sudden I found myself thinking sociologically when I was eating out with my aunt. She was asking my other aunt on her opinion to sending my four year old cousin to a private school because she was unsure because she didn't know if it would be better.  My four year old cousin hangs out mostly with my boy cousins and one girl cousin but she is already ten so theres a huge age difference and there is so much that both can do together.  My aunts answer was to sign her up for private school because she said that that way she would not become a tomboy and that they would teach her to sit properly and behave like a "young lady".  My aunt thought i went to a private school because when I used to live in Chicago like 6 years ago i would wear the usual white shirt and jeans or navy dress pants/skirt and my class would be in a church.  She used me as an example but i told her the reason for the uniform was that all Chicago public schools have to have the same uniform and the reason my class was in a church building was because the church was nice enough to let my school use that building and that is the reason why a school was built in front of the church. I told them both to just let her do what she wants I mean to me my four year old cousin seems pretty girly but to them shes not. This reminded me of the PowerPoint we saw in class comparing the boy and girl toys and how society tries to make us all perfect and they are the ones responsible for all the stereotypes in our society. 

1 comment:

  1. What happened? I think your cousin can be a girl and still be a tomboy...

    ReplyDelete