Sunday, April 17, 2011

Gender Roles

Before learning about gender socialization I did come to realize that while my mom was working my dad would sometimes be home and he would be the one cooking and cleaning in the kitchen.  When my dad would be at work and my mom would have her days off she would be the one cleaning and my grandma cooking.  I do remember when my friend came to my house he came through the kitchen and saw my dad cook and he was just shocked.  He thought it was really weird to see my dad cook because he thought my mom always cooked.  My response to that was no, my mom rarely cooks the person who does the most cooking is my dad.  When I tell people that my dad does the most cooking they all look at me with a weird look and I understand why.  They are still used to the guy working and the girl staying home and taking care of the house.  That same friend told me my family was weird and that he analyzes us. I thought it was weird yet funny and I asked why we were "weird", he said that in his family the men are the ones that say what goes and they dont let no women tell them what they have to do (very macho type).  In my family he said that the women are the ones that say what goes, I thought it was funny because in some way it is.  In my family even though married the women is more independent and are almost the head of the house when it comes to making some decisions.  This reminded me of the gender role cartoons and how we had to reverse them and do the opposite of the stereotype. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to see that gender roles are more fluid in your house and that the genders are seen as more equals.

    ReplyDelete