Friday, March 18, 2011

Yes? No? Maybe so?

All of a sudden I found myself thinking sociologically when I saw culture clash occurring in the store.  I was with my grandma and she was trying to get the price of an item, but at that moment I was somewhere else and when I came back she was standing with the employee and she was smiling and the employee was looking very confused.  Apparently my grandma was trying to ask him for the price and he was trying to understand her so every guess he would do she would just say yes and smile.  He was very confused and did not know what she wanted.  I had to end up translating and the employee told me he was very confused because she kept saying yes to everything and he did not know what to exactly do.  My grandma thought he was understanding her and that's why she kept saying yes.  They both found it kind of frustrating the fact that they weren't understanding each other.  This showed a very good example of culture clash were the two cultures could not interact because of the language barrier.

1 comment:

  1. Good example of culture clash, and I think the employee had a healthy dose of culture shock as well in having trouble communicating with your grandma.

    ReplyDelete