Friday, February 25, 2011

Breakfast Club in real life!

All of a sudden I found myself thinking sociologically when I was doing community service.  It was the day that we watched BreakFast Club in sociology class.  I help kids in and elementary school afterschool with homework and other activities.  At the beginning the kids line up at the gym door and take a seat wherever they like in four lunch tables.  Theres not many kids so you can easily how each one splits up in their own group.  It just seems like groups from a visual point of view but once you see talk to them you get a more in depth look at what each group "does".  I could easily say that I can describe at least three groups from there.  I saw the group of girls that just helped each other with their homework, the group of guys that did all their homework as fast as they could to be able to play basketball afterward, and the group of guys that made fun of each other and got half of their work done.  This reminded me of the breakfast club because each section of the tables had their own group and did not interact with each other.  I think that these group of kids are a part of a reference group because they form a large group and have a special purpose but I dont think that they even talk to each other outside of school.  They are also part of an interest group because they are held together by a common objective. These kids have so much of sociology and they show more of it when it has to do with groups and how they interact with each other.

1 comment:

  1. I hope these kids behaved better than the ones in the video! :) I'm not sure that reference group would be the best choice though...only works if you're comparing them to another group of kids. Secondary group may be a better fit.

    ReplyDelete